“There are years that ask questions and years that answer.” – Zora Neale Hurston
Last year, in 2016 I officially started 87PAGES (Happy Blogiversary to me!) and I declared it the Year of Being. The year of being present, taking chances, not succumbing to fear, to procrastination (ehhh), and to overthinking.
To saying fuck it and that I was answerable only to myself. I said YES and I did it myyyyy way.
2016, was a year of self-discovery. I learned that in order to slay, you better work… bitch.
It worked. I shined. I feel like I accomplished something tangible and a big part of that was my due to my support network.
o My beautiful circle of Black Girl Magic that held me up.
o My expat friends who pulled together whenever I needed them, whether it was planning my 29th birthday, attending my first Creatives Dinner, or dancing away at my 1st Friendsgiving, you made it happen.
o The bloggers I met who taught me about the good and bad of this peculiar industry.
o My younger sister, whom I love and regularly catch a stomach cramp due to her hilarious snapchat shenanigans.
o My girlfriend, who on a whim, caught a deal, booked a ticket and entered a Korean spa with me.
o My girlfriends, who listened without judgment (well maybe just a tad).
o For my mom, because she’s my mom.
o For my husband, who doesn’t exactly understand this blogging world but remains my number two cheerleader.
o And finally, me. I’m my number one cheerleader and with a ton of internal shoving, I finally got in Formation.
So, what’s next?
- Affirmations: I recently enrolled in a mastermind course and it has been an awakening as I’m learning that Yes – I’m worth it and I deserve it. If you see me walking around tapping, just know that a certain slayage is on the horizon. “It is my time and I am ready.”
- 30: There are officially 157 days until my 30thchapter begins. I’ve had two astrological readings in 2016 and ever since I’ve had this urge to prepare for 30. I’ve been brainstorming ideas while wishes drift into my conscious. More to come…
- Travel: I live in South Korea and I’ve done a bit of domestic travel to Jeollabukdo, Busan, Seoul – oh and my birthday trip to Bangkok. This year I want to travel to Vietnam, Shanghai, Cambodia, West Africa, Togo, Japan, Malaysia, Paris, Thailand (I love that place!), New Zealand, and Bali. I will travel there.
- Reduce my carbon footprint: Zero-Waste, Sustainable Travel, Fast Fashion, Water is Life, Minimalism/Bullet Journaling, and the Slow Travel & Slow Food Movement.
- Money: Did you just wiggle in your seat? Feel uncomfortable? Believe me I get it. For the longest, I felt like money was a dusty secret hidden in Clark Kent’s storm cellar. Throughout my mastermind course, I’m learning to be confident in my affirmations for money and to charge what I’m worth.
- Authenticity: Embrace my oddities. Own it. Don’t subscribe to the “good intentions” of others, because truth is, no matter how kind or close they are, they don’t know what you truly want. I’m a Gemini/Sagittarius/Libra and my fancy is flight.
- Creating and living my ideal life: the path to happiness.
If you’re reading this and wondering, has she finally gone off her rocker? The answer is yes and I invite you to jump on this space ship because we’re going to defeat the Cylons and find earth. I should mention, that I just finished season 1 of Battlestar Galactica and it’s sooooo good.
Over, the past year, 87PAGES has evolved and is steadily defining its voice. Like an onion, we are peeling back layers and unlike my diaries of yesteryear, this isn’t an escape from reality. But instead, a visually marked journey. So what is 87PAGES? My blog is based on a series of witty musings, raked with professional curiosity to see and do more. By nature, I’m quizzical, always wanting to understand the why and how (it’s also why I suck at breaking ups) which forever lead me to re-designing particles of my lifestyle.
2017’s blog content will be varying, as I’m interested in so much more than I originally set out to do. Traveling is on my brain and the voyage to 30 is officially underway. I’ve also developed an intense interest in Korean skincare, home design has reared its head and I’m back to pinning décor inspo. I’ve been toddling down the beauty & style & minimalism train. Marie Kondo’s, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying, is a must-read & needs to be implemented into your life. Speaking of reading, I might even finish Paulo Coelho’s The Zahir, which may be the ultimate feat of 2017 (maybe).
All in all, I’m affirming 2017 to be a happy, productive, financially rewarding, creative, and romantic year.
I can’t wait to share my stories and musings with you all. And, I’m ever so hopeful you’ll continue to join me on this journey. Be sure to comment along with your thoughts and feedback, it means a lot to know that you’re here.
ps. I’m affirming that your 2017 will be amazing as well.
We are gathered here today
To get through this thing called life”